Sunny Thai Salad
By Chef Tacha S. Henry
- 5 (or more) fresh hot Thai chili peppers (prik kee noo), sliced crosswise very thin (or substitute jalapenos or serrano chilies, minced)
- 2-3 large cloves garlic, sliced crosswise very thin
- 3tbsp brown sugar
- 1-2 tsp. Grated fresh ginger
- 5 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 5 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice (1 medium size lime)
- 1 head Bibb or Boston; or 1 heart of Romaine lettuce
- 12 sprigs fresh mint (optional), remove the leaves and discard the stems
- 1 mango peeled and sliced thin
- 2 to 3 shallots, sliced crosswise very thin or 1 small red onion, sliced very thin
- 3 or 4 sprigs cilantro, stems removed
Degree of complexity
Mix garlic, chiles, ginger, fish sauce, lime juice, and brown sugar in a small bowl.
Add the sliced mango and toss with the mint and shallots.
Taste and add more fish sauce if desired.
Make a bed of the lettuce on a serving plate. Place the mango on top. Garnish with cilantro. Serves 2 to 3 as an appetizer or as part of a meal....